We know that children are often fussy eaters, which makes maintaining their diets healthy all the more difficult. As a parent, you want to make sure your child is getting the right nutrition, and that they are training their taste buds to eat more than just chicken nuggets and cheese sandwiches.
To help you get some more vitamins and nutrients in your child's diet while you're still working to persuade them to try new foods, we have this easy-to-make recipe, which is a favourite amongst the Strathpine ELC children.
- ½ tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 1 large Carrot
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1 large Zucchini
- 400g Lean Beef Mince
- 800g can Crushed Tomato
- 125g can Brown Lentils
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ cups Spiral/Penne pasta
- ¼ cup Grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Finely chop onion, carrot and celery. Grate zucchini. Drain and rinse lentils
- Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring and using a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 to 6 minutes or until mince is browned.
- Add tomato, lentils, basil and oregano to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, following packet instructions, until tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta with sauce over the top and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Serve with wholemeal dinner rolls and a small salad.
At Strathpine Early Learning Centre, we ensure that your child is provided with tasty and nutritious foods, which are prepared on site daily.
Have you tried any of our recipes? Do you have any suggestions or feedback? Please leave a comment on our Facebook page or send us pictures of your results!